Why

  If you have me as a friend on fb you may have noticed a lot of posting lately about the film Return To Zero, and asking you to sign up to be a local leader.  To those of you that jumped on board without a second thought because you are my friend and know it is important-thank you!  From the bottom of my heart, thank you.   Now comes the second part of this, the pledge.
   I am writing this to try to get you to understand the "why" of this.  Why it's important, why I'm asking you to do all this, and why I'm pushing so hard.

   My daughter Ireland was stillborn at 15 weeks gestation.   Speaking in medical terms her birth is considered a "second trimester miscarriage",  technically speaking I just had a miscarriage.  I do NOT want to down play the word miscarriage.  Having a miscarriage is devastating and painful, both physically and mentally, and it destroys your dreams.  I have had 2 early miscarriages and they were both horrible and destroyed a piece of my heart that I will never get back, but I want to distinguish the difference between my first two miscarriages and Ireland's loss.  With Ireland I went into labour around noon, I just didn't know it.  My pain got progressively worse through out the day/evening, and by 7pm I knew that it wasn't good.   By 8pm I was at the hospital, and at some point in the next couple hours I was told there was nothing to be done but deliver the baby.
   My emotions were in overload.  I was beyond devastated, there truly is no words for what you feel in those moments.  I wanted to go to sleep and forget it all, but the pain kept cutting through me and I had to bring my baby into this world even though she would not live.  I gave birth to my girl around 11:30 that nite.  She weighed 48oz, that's about the same as a regular sized bag of m&m's.  She fit in the palm of my hand.  There was no sweet cry, no "it's a girl!" happiness from the lips of the dr...just silence.

  So you want to know why I need you to do something that may seem like it won't make a difference?  Why do I need you to fill out a form to pledge to a movie, what good is that going to do?  It will SHOW Hollywood that this film will make money, that people DO want to see it.  "What if I'm not sure if I'll see it"...I don't care!  No one is going to hunt you down and make sure you go see this movie, but if you at least fill out this pledge it is a step to get in theatres for those of us that do want to see it.  For those of us that NEED to see it.  It doesn't matter where you live, if there's a theatre near you, if you think a theatre near you will play it or not.  Right now it's just about the numbers, and we need them!

  Why do I think you should see it when it does come out?  Miscarriage, still birth, infant loss...it happens many times, every day.  There are 26,000 stillbirths a year in the US.  1 in 4 women have suffered a loss of some kind.  At some point you are going to meet someone who has had a pregnancy loss, or you may experience it yourself.  Like me, you will have no idea what to do.  You will have no idea how you are going to get through it...but now you will look back and remember the film.  You will remember that there is a community of baby loss parents out there to help in any way they can.  You will remember that you are not alone.   YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

   So please, sign this pledge for me.  It really means a lot to me, and it would touch my heart if you can do this for me.  In the local leader spot put my name, Mandi McHady.
   https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1HqU43R7iij8WJt1bavZkmjhmPdci56qakUUKt2VfvWg/viewform
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Also check out the trailer for the film STILL, a documentary about still birth.  These film makers are working together to get this out there, and everyone involved is just amazing...


Return To Zero:  http://www.returntozerothemovie.com/synopsis.php
STILL Project:  http://stillproject.org/


 

Comments

Popular Posts